6.2 C
Dublin
Sunday, November 29, 2020
Home Uncategorized Re: Yemen: Army announces death of 7 Houthis in Taiz

Re: Yemen: Army announces death of 7 Houthis in Taiz

The Yemeni army yesterday announced that seven Houthi fighters were killed and 15 wounded in clashes west of Taiz Governorate, south of the country.

Saba News Agency quoted an unnamed military source saying that the confrontations, which lasted a number of hours, saw “Houthi militias intensified their artillery shelling on residential neighbourhoods in Bir Basha, Dhabab and old airport quarter,” without mentioning further details.

There was no immediate comment from the Houthi movement regarding the statements made by the military source.

READ: Saudi-backed Yemen army makes progress against Houthi advances

Yemen has been beset by violence and chaos since 2014, when the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital of Sanaa.

The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains.

Tens of thousands of Yemenis, including civilians, are believed to have been killed in the conflict, which has led to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis as millions remain at risk of starvation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Bah, Pandemic! How Theaters Are Saving ‘A Christmas Carol’

For all his flaws, that cranky old miser Ebenezer Scrooge has been a godsend for American theaters. Through recessions and blizzards and other upheavals,...

Liverpool: How one city took on the Covid-19 crisis

shareSharenocloseShare pagelinkCopy linkAbout sharingimage copyrightGetty ImagesWhen the prime minister addressed the nation on Thursday following the announcement of England's latest tier restrictions, he reserved...

Fishing the major bone of contention as Brexit talks enter ‘last week or so’, says foreign secretary

The EU and UK are entering "the last week or so" of "substantive" post-Brexit trade negotiations, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has told Sky News.

Recent Comments